Filipino Pork Belly Adobo Recipe
This was the among the first things I learned to cook. I later found out that it is a basic step in most local stews. That's probably why my mom taught me that first. In the days prior to refrigeration that was the way people preserved the meat that wasn't used up immediately.
- 2 pounds 1 Kg. Pork Belly cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup 125 ml soy sauce
- 1/2 cup 125 ml white vinegar
- 1/2 head garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup 250 ml water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 125 ml rice wine or pastis (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups freshly cooked white rice
Place all ingredients in large frying pan. Bring to the boil. Cover, lower flame and cook until meat is tender, about 50 - 60 minutes.
Remove sauce from pan and set aside. Cook meat and garlic until garlic begins to brown. Remove and set aside.
Deglaze pan with reserved sauce. Return meat and garlic and mix well. Serve over freshly cooked rice.